Wednesday 13 September 2017

The One With F.R.I.E.N.D.S. (Mindscape Reviews #2)





Hello Readers! After about 2 weeks of announcing about TV Show Reviews, here goes the FIRST one! This one has been especially fun, because it was the first time I collaborated for writing! So, all the TV Show Review will be in collaboration with Omkar Vaidya!
So, after weighing a lots of pros & cons about which one to consider for the first review, we decided to take up the evergreen show F.R.I.E.N.D.S!




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION:
Be it a tiring day after work or just a lazy Sunday afternoon, my way to de-stress always comes with a few episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Even if I want to watch something else, I watch one episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. at the beginning, then get on with it. It's like a compulsion. I have to watch at least one episode during the day. Oh my God, am I Monica? Well, I can go on & on about different sorts of patterns why we like what we like, but then you might feel I'm too Ross? What is up with me? Maybe I'm too into my own thoughts, or wait, it feels like I'm just talking to myself like Phoebe does!

How is it that even after the hit American sitcom has ended, a decade later, you still watch it every other day & find yourself relating to every character in some way or other? The brilliance & simplicity of this show has inflicted upon the lives of everyone who has watched it. No matter which country or ethnicity or religion you belong to, when it comes to F.R.I.E.N.D.S, there's unity! It's The One Where We're All F.R.I.E.N.D.S!! Because, when it hasn't been your day, your week, your month or even your year, F.R.I.E.N.D.S will be there for you!  

I was discussing this with Omkar & it was he who thought about this. No matter how different Ross, Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Phoebe & Joey are from each other, we find some part of them in ourselves. We've always related to them in some way. Sure, one character may have a larger influence than the other. But, just because you're too much of control freak like Monica doesn't mean you can't also be a little bit weird like Phoebe lip syncing to songs on your morning jog! So, here you go, we cannot talk ENOUGH about F.R.I.E.N.D.S, but we tried to put it all in a nutshell…

OVERVIEW:
Well, F.R.I.E.N.D.S (1994-2004) has been one of the most watched & everyone's favourite TV show according to IMDB. Okay, I made that up, but it has to be true! If you haven't watched it, what are you doing with your life!? The show's 10 seasons are comprised with a roller coaster ride of all the emotions you could possibly feel, wherein humour tops the list & leaves your stomach aching. No matter how many times you have watched it, you'll laugh at all the same jokes time & again. This show made 6 people from almost-nobodys to somebody the entire world loved. How amazing is that? I know them better than some of my actual friends. I'd say that one of my friends is a 'transponstor' because I don't really know what she does, but whatever, IT’S NOT EVEN A WORD!

Those who must have watched it when it originally aired, must have had so much fun, but I have no idea what kept you going with so many cliff hangers! I literally watched the entire show in one or two weeks, I think. And ever since then, I must have easily watched it 6 or more times & I never get bored of it. I need it every day, like a dose of medicine to stay sane.


CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT:
There are 6 main characters as you must know. Female leads are Monica Geller, Rachel Green & Phoebe Buffay. Male leads are Chandler Bing, Ross Geller & Joey Tribbiani. In my opinion, throughout the 10 seasons, I have seen Rachel grow more than anyone else. There has also been significant character development with Chandler as well. However, Phoebe & Joey somehow remain their same innocent & weird selves. Ross & Monica change a bit, but not significantly. Given everything, we love them, anyway!

OMKAR'S FAVOURITES:


As far as Friends goes, I think my favourite EPISODE starring my favourite GUEST ACTOR will be 'The One with the Rumor' (S08 E09) with Brad Pitt! Where shall I begin explaining? From that one sexy stare to his personality to how amazing Brad & Jen look together (on & off screen) to that best chemistry between Ross & in fact Will? to the 'I hate Rachel Green Club'. And how can we miss out the way Phoebe was openly crushing on him, I mean, who wouldn't? The entire energy of that episode was on a whole different level! Probably because of the best couple in Hollywood or probably just because it's F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Moving on to my favourite supporting character, it'd be Mike Hannigan (Paul Rudd), for sure! Other than him, one character who moved along the story line from 'awww' to 'LOL' was Gunther (Central Perk?)
Some DISLIKED characters would be Eric, who played Ursula's fiance (Sean Penn); just wasn't likable.

AISHWARYA'S FAVOURITES:


Well, there are 10 seasons & so many episodes, so to pick any one favourite is next to impossible, so I have a LOT of favourites, but I have cherry-picked a few for you all! My absolute favourite EPISODE would be 'The One Where Everybody Finds Out'. (S05 E14) It is just hilarious & I can't buy enough merchandise that says, "They don't know that we know they know we know!"
Going ahead, my favourite GUEST STAR would be Adam Goldberg who plays the character Eddie in the episodes 'The One Where Eddie Moves In' (S02 E17) & 'The One Where Eddie Won't Go' (S02 E19). So, you see what I did there? Under the pretext of favourite guest star, I gave you another favourite episodes.
Well, as far as weddings go, Phoebe & Mike's wedding is my favourite! It's in the street & it's Phoebe! Everyone's outfits are on point, unlike earlier weddings! I just love it!


MINDSCAPE FAVOURITES:


When we were discussing about favourites, we couldn't decide on a favourite character, but when we talked about favourite episodes, this one was on both of our lists as I'm sure will be on yours! It's none other than 'The One with the Embryos'. (S04 E12) If you're a true fan, you won't only know the answers to all the questions, but the questions along with the categories as well! The craziness of the series is best depicted in this episode! I mean, switching apartment? Having your brother's babies? WOAH!! That’s the stuff.

CONCLUSION:
All these characters & the story line in the show is very different from us & yet we find ourselves in them. Usually when you watch some show, you get attached to one character a lot. But, in this case, we can relate to all the 6 characters, and “OH MY GOD”, sometimes, I can even relate to Janice! (please, tell me you do too?) So, anyway, in our own way, we carry all of their personalities with.

We are a bit obsessive, thanks to Monica..
We are a bit sarcastic-funny, thanks to Chandler..
We are openly geeky, thanks to Ross..
We are in touch with the kid in us, thanks to Joey,
We are following our dreams, thanks to Rachel,
And we are all wonderfully weird, thanks to Phoebe..!!

Is it perfect? Maybe Not! 
Do we care? Absolutely Not! 

So grab some popcorn & remember the motto: Binge!
Tell us your favourite thing about friends & lets discuss!!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love FRIENDS and you're so right - I think the reason it's perennially popular is because everybody can relate to at least one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends is one of my favorite shows! I love rewatching the old holiday episodes, especially the Thanksgiving ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hands up I have never watched all the episodes of Friends, I just never really "got it" the hype went over my head and I've never had the urge to watch what I have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this show so much my husband and I named our first daughter Emma after Rachel's baby (haha). We were on team Joey! Still binge watch this show for a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still love Friends and quote it whenever I can. Pheobe is my fave character. And 'Pivot!' has to be my favourite line. That and the one with Ross's sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work.Just wished to drop a comment and say i'm new your journal and adore what i'm reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...