Thursday 1 October 2015

Random Quirks from a Book Nerd.


          I finally finished reading the biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It took forever to read it. But now I'm back to fiction; my forte. Yesterday, I was going through all these books in my bookshelf. It's always tough to decide on what to read next. I glanced at many books I hadn't read. And then I just picked 'The Fault in our Stars' to re-read it for the third time. I read any book I want anytime. It's just one of those days when you no longer believe that you can read one book in one day. One of those days when you don't believe whether you really love reading or is it just something you like to say. One of the days where you're at the lowest level of your reading slump. It's mentally fixating and demotivating when you lose that reading spree. But as I started TFIOS, I got the spark back. It felt perfect and amazing. It was something very natural. I bet that if I'd have started any new book, I wouldn't have gotten the book ninja spirit back. So, yay to John Green. Hopefully, my book slump is coming to an end.

          Apart from the quirk of reading anything anytime, there are a few other quirks. I never prepare a monthly To-Be-Read list. Because I read as per my often-occurring mood swings, it becomes quite difficult to decide on what to read next. So it's never pre-determined. I go through these lists of other readers and I just don't get it. It's like declaring future. How can anyone stick to a set of books for a period? It's totally beyond me.

           When I'm busy with studies or assignments, I read less. I don't have that compulsive need to finish a book in one seating. Some books, sure. During holidays, sure. On boring days when there's nothing to do, sure. But during routine days, it's impossible. It's literally impossible to keep that commitment to reading five hours a day. It's sad but it's an ugly fact.

          I read daily. Even if it's just for about 15 minutes, I read. It's a chain I can't dream of breaking. Another weird thing is that I happen to read more during exams. It just somehow reduces tension and I succeed at my secret profession of an escape artist. So, no matter what, that little bit of reading before going to sleep helps a lot.

          Another freakish thing is about lending books. I hate lending books. There, I've said it. I care about my books more than I care about some people. I hate it when people don't return books back or worse return them ruined. I hate dog-eared pages. I hate anything written or spilled on them. I just hate all of it. I lend books only to my friends who share this obsession. So we're a pack of nerds.

What are your cute little bookish quirks?


11 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to doubting my reading self. Now I for one cannot finish a book in a day at all, but I sometimes wonder whether I truly love reading or just say so indeed. I have yet to read TFIOS myself by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in a reading slump too. I'm blaming it on moving. I miss it though and need to find a book that ignites that fire within me again. My children have been reading more books than me. That makes me happy though so I'll take it!

    I also don't get a book list. I can see a list for books to read and books I've read but not such a list that you can't move on until you finish that book. I like to let inspiration hit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you about not wanting to lend books! I have a select few family and friends who I will pass a book onto, but if it's a book I really love than that list gets even shorter haha. I've had other friends ask to borrow a book and I'll fib and say it's on my ereader and then send them an Amazon link? Horrible? Maybe, but so are bent pages! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to be in the mood to read. If it's really good one can read it cover to cover. I prefer hard copy too..I tend to fall asleep more on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your quirks! I don't read books everyday, but I do read a ton of blogs. I am in a book club, which I love. It helps me read books I never would have picked on my own. I haven't read the Fault in Our Stars, but now I'm thinking I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I both love and hate to lend books. I want to share good books with everyone I know, but at the same time, I'm afraid they'll hurt my precious book. I like to keep them pristine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I am the SAME about lending books. I don't even like lending them to my sister and she lives, like, 2 steps away from my room. BUT THEY'RE MY BOOKS AND I NEED THEM IN THEIR PLACES. *hyperventilates* And I never prepare a monthly to-read list either! *hi fives* Like I have a stack of books on my bedside table that need reading ASAP, but I don't, like...decide which books for which month. I don't like to be boxed in like that. Plus my life is like library outings and library sales, so I really wait and see what turns up. xD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like lending books to people either! They're almost like my babies. When I have lended them out they come back banged up, pages folded, or I never get them back. It's just like...hmmm I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have stopped lending books, as I've lost some of my favourites to friends who never return things (and subsequently had to re purchase them). My quirks are similar to yours, I go through reading "Swings". I also usually have 3 books on the go at any one time: One in my living room, one in my bedroom, one at my cottage. I pick them up when I'm closest to them.

    I also have a tendency to stop reading a book and pick it up at the same place 2 months later. And I reread my favourites at the same times every year (Fall is Jane Austen novel time).

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, you guys. It just feels more nerdy that you share these quirks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just getting back into the love of reading after years and I'm trying to compile a list of great books that thrill me enough to read- I love using Goodreads.com to find, list and use challenges for motivation, book clubs etc :) It's fun, check it out! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...