Monday 12 October 2020

Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler Book Review!








Hello Readers! I sure am on a high lately. I finished another book in 3 days. It was a short book & I could have finished it in a day, but it was really amazing to savor this one by reading not as fast. I have been meaning to read Anne Tyler’s ‘Redhead by the Side of the Road’ since some time now. And, because I wanted to steer clear of a reading slump, I thought of reading a few short books. It sure is working. Because it was a small book, I am going to write a small review!

 



~~INTRODUCTION~~

Redhead by the Side of the Road is one of the many books written by Anne Tyler. It was also longlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2020 which mainly piqued my interest in it. Basically, this is the most simplistic story of a man named Micah Mortimer who lives a predictable life in Baltimore. Coming from a noisy & messy family, he is the only one who believes in the order of things. He has a steady girlfriend of 3 years who is quite similar to him. The whole book is a very straightforward story in the day to day life of Micah.


~~OVERALL THOUGHTS~~

When I first started reading this book, I straight up read around 40% of it. It was so easy to follow. A simple man living a simple life. It was also relatable in the sense that Micah is so particular about things. Also, in the sense that how predictable his life was.

Reading this book is quite like how I keep re-watching Grey’s Anatomy. I know what’s going to happen, but in that moment the familiarity makes me happy. Similarly, there isn’t a life-altering lesson to be taken from this book, but in the moment it gives the reader joy. It’s like comfort food for the brain. Or the in-between of books. Or the kind of book which will help in the transition of the afterthought of the last book you read to the next book you choose.

This book will remind you of the plain simplicity of life. How it is completely okay to have a predictable life. How it is extraordinary to just have a normal life. How there are lessons to be learnt even in the most infinitesimal things. And just maybe, in the whole simplicity of it, you will find a bigger meaning. And even if you don’t, you know that that’s okay too. There will always be people who will choose French Vanilla over an oversized ice cream sundae sprinkled with M&Ms, nuts & what not.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Redhead by the Side of the Road. And, I think every person who will read it will have their own customized takeaways from it. In a much basic sense, this book has achieved to be something beyond amazing. Usually I’m not a fan of such books, but this one is the clear differentiator. It’s a definite recommendation from me!



Now that I am an Anne Tyler fan, I am planning to read her books more. I have already planned on reading ‘A Spool of Blue Thread’ which was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2015. I also plan to read ‘Breathing Lessons’ which was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1989! There’s a lot to choose from because she has written TWETY THREE NOVELS!

Anyway, I hope my reading streak continues & that I am back with another book review soon enough!



Until next time,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...